This activity asks students to observe plant phenology (plant life cycle timing as it relates to the seasons) in their neighbourhood, and contribute observations to a national citizen science database. By studying the initial growth stages and recording the date of these stages, the Nature Watch/Plant Watch organization can track these dates year-over-year and help contribute to climate change investigations.
- Students will record observations of plant changes as spring begins
- Students will contribute data in a national citizen science project
- Student activity sheet
- Access to PlantWatch website: https://www.naturewatch.ca/plantwatch/
THESE ARE READ-ONLY DOCUMENTS.
To make your own editable version, ensure you’re signed into a Google account, then click on “File->Make a Copy” to create a personal copy to use.
If you don’t have a Google account, you can still download these documents by choosing “File->Download” and selecting your preferred file type.
Program of Study
- Science, EOE
- 30-60 mins (+ checking on the plant)
- Grade 4 Science - Plant Growth and Changes,
- Grade 7 Science - Interactions and Ecosystems, Plants for Food and Fibre
- Grade 7-9 Environmental and Outdoor Education