A+ for Energy at a glance
- All K – 12 teachers are welcome to apply
- Grants up to $5000
- Preference given to projects that demonstrate measurable greenhouse gas emission reductions and high student engagement
- School garden proposals will not be accepted
- Successful schools will be invited to attend an all-expense paid Calgary PD conference, August 2020
We are excited to hear what your school has planned to bring energy education to life for your students
- We encourage you to read over the criteria prior to submitting your online application
- You will not be able to save your application when using the form – it will all need to be completed in one sitting. Download a copy of the application form to work offline.
A+ for Energy application form
- All applications will be scored against this energy education project rubric below.
- Prepare your project budget and have it ready to upload with your application.
project budget template
2020 – 21 | A+ for Energy Timeline
February 1, 2020
– Applications Open
May 4, 2020
– Application Deadline
May 25-29, 2020
– Winners Announced
Late August 2020 – date TBC
– Teacher Professional Development Program in Calgary
- All A+ grant recipient teachers are invited to attend this two-day, all-expenses-paid workshop in Calgary.
- You will also have an opportunity to bring a colleague teacher or administrator to attend this exciting experience.
- This isn’t your typical sit-and-listen PD! You will head out on tours, share ideas, and be inspired by like-minded colleagues from across Alberta.
You will be provided with a full scholarship to attend the program – food, program travel, accommodations (double occupancy), tours, and workshops are included. A modest travel subsidy will help you and a colleague get to and from Calgary.
– Projects Begin | 70% of funding provided
December 15, 2020
– Online Report Due Remaining 30% of funding provided upon receipt
June 15, 2021
– Final Video Report Due
What makes a winning project?
- A focus on energy! Consider how the project will enhance student understanding of Alberta’s energy landscape including energy efficiency, conservation and our future. Special consideration will be given to projects that track energy conservation and greenhouse gas emission reductions.
- Make connections beyond your classroom. Share not only the number of students that will be directly and indirectly impacted but also how the project will support partnerships outside of the school and how you will highlight the program externally.
- Get creative and think outside the box! There are multiple ways that energy education can be incorporated into multiple grade levels, subject areas and school-based projects.
Interested in a solar project to complement an A+ for Energy project? Check out Solar For Schools for the opportunity to receive 50% match for your schools solar installation!
Please note: While we love school gardens, the A+ for Energy program will not accept any garden/greenhouse projects. Please visit our Learning Gardens page for information about our garden grants!
If you have additional questions or want to bounce ideas off of a member of the Inside Education team don’t hesitate to get in touch!
Edmonton Office – (780) 421-1497
Calgary Office – (403) 263-7720