Spend the day with Inside Education as we explore outdoor and environmental career opportunities with the women who work in the wild!
Inside Education is inviting you to bring female students from Grades 8-11 to explore career opportunities in various sectors including wildlife, water, energy, forestry and more!
These no-cost experiences are fully facilitated by Inside Education and will include workshops and presentations by expert guests and bus transportation to each site. Your students will:
- Learn from local experts such as wildlife biologists, agronomists, forest technicians and more
- Gain a better understanding of career and academic opportunities available to them
- Have a hands-on learning experience that enriches curriculum and meets CTF/CTS learning outcomes
Dates & Locations
Calgary and area: October 4 at Three Herons Conservation Area (Millarville)
Central Alberta: October 19 at Huestis Demonstration Forest (Whitecourt)
Example Program Schedule:
8:45-9:45 - Bus pickup at your school
9:45-10:15 - Introduction to outdoor careers presentation
10:15-11:45 - Rotation through career exploration stations
11:45-12:15 - Lunch break
12:15-1:45 - Rotation through career exploration stations
1:45-3:00 - Bus drop off at your school
*program schedule subject to change
- Buses are booked and paid for by Inside Education
- Bring your own lunch - snacks are provided
This program is targeted towards female students because women are often underrepresented in these fields. For example, according to the most recent statistics in the following industries, women make up:
- 21.6% of the forestry workforce
- 22.2% of the energy workforce
- 32.4% of the agricultural workforce
Female high school graduates are also less likely to pursue post-secondary education in STEM degrees. By offering this program, we hope to engage these students in career paths that are available to them that they may not have considered before.
Is my non-binary student welcome?
Yes they are! Since people who are gender non-conforming are also underrepresented in a lot of these fields, we feel that it is important to include them.