What is Regenerate 2024?
Regenerate 2024 is a four-day experiential learning event for senior high school students aged 14 years and older, along with their teachers. The all-expenses-paid education and leadership summit will showcase the places, people and projects that are shaping our forested landscape by way of keynote speakers, themed workshops, forestry field and mill tours, social networking opportunities, and much more! Teams will also be tasked with implementing a forest education project to share the knowledge, experience, and inspiration gained with their school and community.
Is it really all-expenses-paid? That sounds too good to be true!
Both students and teachers will receive a full scholarship to attend. Registration, accommodations, meals, program transportation and tours are all covered.
Please note: schools are responsible for getting themselves to and from the start location.
What about covering my classes while I’m gone?
If necessary, each attending teacher may apply for a maximum $150 subsidy per program day toward the cost of a substitute teacher. It is the responsibility of the school to make substitute teacher arrangements. Please review Inside Education’s Subsidy Policy for more details.
What is expected of teachers during the event?
Your main role is to help students make the most of their experience and learn alongside them. The lead teacher will be the primary connection to Inside Education. The students will be under your supervision and are ultimately your responsibility. There is no need to worry because we have a jam-packed program to keep them busy. Of course, safety is a priority. Check out the safety section below for more details.
What steps have been taken to ensure student safety during the program?
We are committed to ensuring a safe environment for all program participants.
- The supervising teacher from each school will provide a contact cell phone number and be accessible throughout the program.
- In the event of an emergency please contact 9-1-1
- Inside Education program staff each have current standard first aid and CPR certification, and have passed a criminal records background check. There will be a first aid kit accessible by program staff and others at all time. Inside Education staff will be recognizable throughout the summit.
- Travel to and from the summit is the responsibility of the school.
- Check the road report and adjust your driving to the road conditions.
- Carry an emergency kit including blankets, shovel, booster cables, snacks, and water.
- Carry a current map and stay on main roadways.
- Ensure someone knows your route; tell them when you plan to arrive and check in when you get there.
- Ensure your vehicle is in good repair and has had a safety inspection.
- Free time: Any activities or use of hotel facilities will be at the discretion of the supervising teacher(s).
- Rooming: Inside Education reserves a block of rooms at the hotel. Student rooms will be assigned, with your help, based on double occupancy. Your confirmation form will include the necessary fields for rooming lists. Teachers will stay on their own or with another teacher.
- Behaviour expectations: Program delegates are representing their schools and communities, and are expected to maintain the standards of behaviour set forth by their school and their supervising teacher(s). Delegates will be further expected to adhere to all school division policies.
Where will we be staying during the program?
Regenerate participants will be provided overnight accommodations at Coast Canmore Hotel & Conference Centre in Canmore, Alberta.
What should I bring?
- Small bag or backpack
- Casual clothes (best to be comfortable!)
- Warm outdoor gear (mitts, layers, toque) - just in case
- Close-toed shoes for site tours
- Water bottle
- Pencil and a notebook
- Personal items (medications, etc.)
- Overnight gear
How old must students be to attend?
Regenerate 2024 is a high school program. Students must be aged 14 or older to attend Regenerate 2024 - Grade 9 students will only be invited if your school is Grade 9-12.
Do I need two teachers or can I bring a parent chaperone?
Ideally, both adults are teachers, administrators, or staff from the school. We curate activities for educators as part of the summit. In special cases, a parent or other adult chaperone may attend but they are expected to participate in the full program.
What else can I look forward to?
Inside Education ensures a welcoming and fun learning environment. We hope you will be inspired by the people, places and perspectives that are shared on the program. As they say, a picture says a thousand words so we encourage you to check out our Generate/Navigate 2023 Wrap Up Reel to gain a sense of the experience on our most recent provincial-scale youth summit.