In-person Program Description
Inside Education will guide your students through the physical, chemical and biological characteristics of water while discussing how water quality and quantity are influenced by human actions. Learn about watersheds and a local water body while adding data to a province wide water monitoring program!
Inside Education has teamed up with a lab in the School of Public Health at the University of Alberta along with financial support from Alberta Innovates to create a school-based program that educates about Alberta’s watersheds and gives students the opportunity to use leading-edge technology to assist in monitoring their own local water bodies for biological issues.
- Request a classroom program where Inside Education will lead the class through an interactive presentation including DNA extraction and use of a portable monitoring device to identify biological hazards in the water.
Online program description
Inside Education will guide your students through the physical, chemical and biological characteristics of water while discussing how water quality and quantity are influenced by human actions. Learn about watersheds, contaminants, aquatic invasive species, and more!
Watersheds, Water Monitoring, Aquatic Biodiversity, Aquatic Invasive Species, Connections Between Science and Technology to the Healthy People and Healthy Watersheds, DNA, Citizen Science, Water Use, Biological Contamination
- Grades 5: Wetland Ecosystems, Classroom Chemistry
- Grade 7: Ecosystems & Interactions
- Grades 8: Freshwater & Saltwater Systems
- Grade 9: Biological Diversity
Note: classroom program is adapted to suit the grade level and curricular outcomes.