Energy and the Environment – An Oil Sands Case Study
Using Inside Education’s Energy Dialogues resource we will explore the relationship between Alberta’s energy industry and our natural environment.
Themes: energy sources, energy production, technology, sustainable development, climate change, wildlife, careers & stewardship.
- Biology 20
- Science 10/30,
- CTS: Natural Resources (NAT)
- STSE Emphasis (Science, Technology, Society, Environment)
Energy Dialogues – Energy & Wildlife
The Future Of Agriculture In Alberta
- Science 10
- Social Studies 10
Water Quality Science and Monitoring
Inside Education has teamed up with a lab in the School of Public Health at the University of Alberta along with financial support from Alberta Innovates to create a school-based program that educates about Alberta’s watersheds and gives students the opportunity to use leading-edge technology to assist in monitoring their own local water bodies for biological issues.
- Request a classroom program where Inside Education will lead the class through an interactive presentation including DNA extraction and use of a portable monitoring device to identify biological hazards in the water.
Themes: watersheds, water monitoring, aquatic biodiversity, aquatic invasive species, connections between science and technology to the healthy people and healthy watersheds, DNA, citizen science, water use, biological contamination
- Biology 20: Ecosystems & Population Change
- Science 20: Changes in Living Systems
- Biology 30: Cell Division, Genetics and Molecular Biology (STSE Emphasis)
*note: classroom program is adapted to suit the grade level and curricular outcomes