Gr. 7 | Agriculture in Alberta – Cultivating Stewardship
Inside Education can help you bring important Alberta-relevant context to your grade 7 plants for food and fibre unit with a hands-on inquiry into key agricultural topics! Students will explore the who, what and why of agriculture in Alberta and the balance between a growing population and sustainable agriculture practices.
Themes: food production – crops & livestock, issues & innovation, sustainability, careers
- Grade 7 Science – Plants for Food & Fibre
- Career & Technology Foundations (CTF)
Gr. 8 | Alberta’s Watersheds
Water Science and Monitoring Program
Inside Education will guide your students through the physical, chemical and biological characteristics of water while discussing how water quality and quantity are influenced by human actions. Learn about watersheds and a local water body while adding data to a province wide water monitoring program!
Inside Education has teamed up with a lab in the School of Public Health at the University of Alberta along with financial support from Alberta Innovates to create a school-based program that educates about Alberta’s watersheds and gives students the opportunity to use leading-edge technology to assist in monitoring their own local water bodies for biological issues.
- Request a classroom program where Inside Education will lead the class through an interactive presentation including DNA extraction and use of a portable monitoring device to identify biological hazards in the water.
Themes: watersheds, water monitoring, aquatic biodiversity, aquatic invasive species, connections between science and technology to the healthy people and healthy watersheds, DNA, citizen science, water use, biological contamination
- Grades 5: Wetland Ecosystems, Classroom Chemistry
- Grade 7: Ecosystems & Interactions
- Grades 8: Freshwater and Saltwater Systems
- Grade 9: Biological Diversity
*note: classroom program is adapted to suit the grade level and curricular outcomes
Gr. 9 | Electricity Challenge
*not we are not able to build solar lanterns during the online program
Take your students on a critical thinking evaluation of electricity and get the big picture on generation and consumption. This unique 1.5 hour program will engage students in meaningful energy education through action. The program includes an interactive presentation and solar lantern building workshop.
- Evaluate sources of energy and investigate electrical technologies
- Develop a global energy perspective and think critically to solve electricity challenges
- Work together to build solar lanterns as part of the STAR EcoWorks Leading Light ® Initiative that will see lanterns sent overseas at the end of the school year.
*Due to the number of solar lanterns available we suggest a maximum of 50 students per workshop
- Grade 9 Science – Electrical Principles and Technologies
- STSE Emphasis (Science, Technology, Society, Environment)
Gr. 9 | Alberta’s Wildlife
Join Inside Education to discover what factors affect the success of wildlife populations, explored through the lens of wildlife species in Alberta! In this program we will explore topics related to ecological niche, species at risk, interspecies relationships, and human impacts on wildlife habitat; and investigate the wide ranging effects of changes in an ecosystem.
- Grade 7 – Interactions and Ecosystems
- Grade 9 – Biological Diversity
- Biology 20 – Ecosystems and Population Change
Gr. 9 | Environmental Chemistry – Air and Water
This interactive presentation will explore how natural and human factors influence local air and water quality. We will demonstrate how Alberta monitors and evaluates air and water for the health of both people and the environment.
- Gain an understanding of local air quality monitoring and air quality monitoring tools
- Understand the main sources of the major pollutants of concern in Alberta
- Interpret graphs and air quality data
Themes: Environmental health, human point and non-point source emissions, technology, data interpretation, stewardship
Grade 9 Science: Environmental Chemistry