Oil Sands Education Tour
June 1 – 3, 2017
Fort McMurray, Alberta
*APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED*
Canada has the largest oil sands reserves in the world and much of the resource is located right here in Alberta. The development of the oil sands resources requires large investments of energy and water to transform the sticky bitumen into useable synthetic crude oil. With increasing demand for energy and energy that produces less emissions, uses less water and costs less there is a growing need for innovative solutions. Join Inside Education as we visit Northeast Alberta to gain first-hand experiences that will help you, and ultimately your students, think critically about the future of this significant energy resource.
Broaden your understanding of this key resource with behind-the-scenes tours of cutting-edge research and extraction facilities. You will have the opportunity to:
- Connect with experts in the field who will share their knowledge of oil sands development
- Travel to an in situ oil sands operation that uses steam-assisted gravity drainage (SAGD) technology
- Step into the oil sands research facilities where creative ideas are changing how we produce and use bitumen
- Learn about how technology and innovation are changing how we develop oil sands resources
- Develop a better understanding of the issues facing future oil sands development in Alberta
- Network with like-minded educators from across the province
- Gain lesson ideas that will encourage young stewards to take part in conversations that will shape the future of the oil sands.
Application Deadline: May 4, 2017
This program is open to teachers in Western Canada. If you are a successful applicant, Inside Education will provide you with a full scholarship to attend the program. Your food, program travel, accommodations and all facility tours and workshops are all included in the scholarship. Please note: this program will subsidize the costs of airfares to Fort McMurray but does not qualify for a supply teacher subsidy.
Please contact us for more information.