Forest Education Program
July 4 -8, 2017
Application Deadline: June 12, 2017
See the forests beyond the trees. Covering over 50% of the landscape, Alberta’s forest ecosystems influence everything from our water to our economy. This dynamic education program will take to the woods to examine how Alberta’s forests are crucial to our environment, economy and society.
Join Inside Education as we discover how to use forests as a cross-curricular foundation to bring multiple perspectives, critical thinking and experiential education to your classroom.
On the program you will:
- visit different forest ecosystems to experience the diversity found within the forest regions of Alberta
- experience a network of demonstration forests that are used for research, innovation and education
- visit the headwaters and learn how healthy forests are connected to drinking water
- make the climate connection as we examine the role of forests as a carbon sink
- consider traditional use and how indigenous wisdom is informing our forest management decisions
- learn what is being done about species at risk like grizzly bears and woodland caribou
- tour forest operations in Alberta’s boreal and foothills forests
- consider the multiple stakeholders that work together on the landscape and discover how different forest management strategies are designed to balance multiple use
- see technologies and innovations that are changing the forest sector from planning to product
- Gain ideas, classroom resources and experiences that will help you inspire your students as stewards of Alberta forests.
If you are a successful applicant, Inside Education will provide you with a full scholarship to attend the program. Your food, program travel, accommodations and all facility tours and workshops are all included in the scholarship.
Please contact us for more information.