Plant the seed and grow agriculture education in your classroom!
Inside Education has teamed up with Alberta Agriculture, Agriculture in the Classroom and Ontario Agri-food Education with support from Farm Credit Canada to bring a unique learning experience to Alberta. We are inviting high school students and their teachers to participate in an inquiry-based study of Agriculture and Climate Change.
This inquiry study has 3 parts:
- A self-guided introductory presentation
- A 1 hour nation wide live stream video conference
- Post conference discussion questions
The full inquiry will take approximately 2 hours but can be divided over several class periods with the exception of the video conference:
Thursday March 3, 2016
Two time slots available: 8:00 am MST (10 am EST) and 10:00 am MST (12 pm EST)
- Gain insight into the relationship between agriculture and climate change
- Understand the opportunities and challenges of a changing climate on the agricultural sector
- Consider what is being done now and look to the future of agriculture
Learning Objectives – Alberta Program of Studies
With an emphasis on 21st century learning skills and cross curricular competencies this inquiry based programs connects to Learning Objectives from the Alberta Program of Studies at the Secondary Level.
- Science 10 – Unit D: Energy Flow in Global Systems
- Career & Technology Studies – Natural Resources: Agriculture
- Science 20 – Unit D: Changes in Living Systems
- Biology 20 – Unit A: Energy Matter Exchange in the Biosphere
*This inquiry on Agriculture & Climate Change can connect to case study on natural resource development and the environment in Social Studies 10-30.
For a comprehensive list of Alberta-based teacher support materials including lesson plans, school garden resources, other events and programs please visit Alberta Agriculture – Education Homepage